Thursday, September 12, 2013

50 Shades of White




Our second painting project in the house was the closet doors.  They were pretty beat up and I thought a simple coat of white paint would help freshen them up and make them a little brighter. 

It was not worth it.  They took forever to paint, and the hallway is so dark you can barely notice a difference. 

Firstly, we bought a high gloss white paint in the basic white color at our local hardware store.  The doors were white before, so I didn't think it would be that big a deal if I didn't get full coverage, etc. 



 
There are about 5 million shades of white.  Lesson learned.  The fronts I painted with a straight brush and a trim roller.  It took forever, my hand hurt, and I wound up needing to do two coats just to cover the old white with the new white and make it look good. 

 
I found a tutorial that suggested painting the insidy parts of the boxes first.  It didn't help make anything easier or with getting more coverage. 

 
Because we set the doors against the wall on a dropcloth, painting the bottom of the doors was also a challenge.
 
 
Finally they were done, and while you can clearly see they are not very well done in this photo, I was ready to call it "good enough" and decided we would live with the doors as they are. 
 
I searched a number of Pinterest Tutorials about painting, and a lot of them suggested the "shockingly easy" tip of lining your paint pan with tin foil and then throwing it out.  Listen, folks.  They make these amazing amazing paint trays that are lined with Teflon.  They are the best thing ever.  They are cheaper than a roll of tin foil.



I did read a tip to soak my brushes in vinegar and hot water to get the paint off of them, and it helps a lot - the bristles don't get so stiff, and the paint comes off a bit easier.  If anyone has any tips for cleaning rollers, they are appreciated.  This tutorial suggests using fabric softeners, so I think maybe a dryer sheet in a bucket will help us out next week when we have to paint the bathroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment