Saturday, January 4, 2014

Ice Melt

Since we are covered in snow today, we put down ice melt on our front sidewalk.  Because our street is high foot traffic, it's prone to being icy, and we need to clear it and keep it clear.  A container of Safer than Salt came with the house, but as I was spreading it on the sidewalk, I remember my cousin's warning that people spreading ice melt didn't buy the "pet friendly" kind and it irritated her pup's paws.  I was concerned that this was not pet friendly, but then I remembered the previous owner had a dog and she probably bought pet friendly ice melt.  I checked the label and it specified that it was eco friendly but not necessarily pet friendly. 

I found this article about ice melt interesting but was dissatisfied to see the ingredients on the Safer than Salt is "a unique mix of chemicals that is better than regular salt" or something else to that effect.  This site says, "The product is a proprietary formulation of sodium chloride, calcium chloride and magnesium chloride." Since the article advised avoiding sodium chloride, I'm honestly not sure whether Safer than Salt is pet-safe or not.  We live in an extremely high-traffic dog walking corridor, so this is a concern for me. 

I think once we have used up this container of ice melt, we will probably switch to an advertised pet-friendly brand.  But I'm keeping the jug it came in - it's so much easier to spread! 

No comments:

Post a Comment