Friday, October 18, 2013

Small things

When we first looked at our house, we saw there was not going to be enough room in our office for two desks, a futon, and a craft area. Our realtor's assistant suggested we consider building a bit of an office nook downstairs, and I immediately loved the idea. At our old place, we eventually put a desk in our dining room, and I do most of my computer stuff on my laptop anyway.  I mentioned to our realtor's assistant that I had an antique desk at my parent's house that I wanted to bring over.  She said, "as a friend [which we are, and that is how I found our realtor], that's going to look really great here." 
 
 
So we drove down to my parents house with a pickup truck and picked it up and brought it back and then it has sat, covered by a moat of stuff, for months. On Monday, we finally cleared a path to it and I spent the afternoon sitting at my desk, working on some projects.  I love how much light is right there from the window.  It's also really nice having office supplies downstairs, instead of upstairs, and we are keeping all of our stamps in it.
 
The desk, by the way, I always thought belonged to my Daddy K, who was my great-grandfather.  He was a wonderful, kind hearted man and he passed away when I was very young and I remember him very fondly.  It turns out
 
Also in it is our new return address stamp.  We had to get a new one with this address, and I liked our old one but wanted something a bit more streamlined, so I used the company I used to order our sister's stamps (they got matching ones for Christmas one year. They aren't related to each other but are both stylish and modern in taste.)
 
This is the stamp we got:
 
 
Below is the one I bought for our sisters. Clearly, I like the names to be in script font and the address in plain letters.  They both use theirs and they look great, so I highly recommend this shop.  The sellers are also prompt about replying to questions.
 
 Our Flor samples are in, but we have to pick them up from UPS, and so we should be able to order carpet this weekend. I'm also going to pick up entryway rugs from Bed Bath and Beyond once we know what color we want and I've rounded up enough coupons. 
 
Finishing up my vanity is also on this weekend's agenda, and will mean that we can finally take care of a couple of more boxes and might be approaching unpacked. 
 
After these more major projects are taken care of, we get to move on to smaller things, like figuring out what to do with our fireplace and finding a place for all of the decorative stuff we had at our old place that just doesn't fit/go in our new place.  Then there is the as-yet-unresolved search for a new dining room table.

No comments:

Post a Comment